Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sugar

These days, because of my recent "lifestyle makeover" I've found that I can use all the help that I can get. I enjoy reading health and fitness books and magazines. I've recently come across some websites that I enjoy as well including www.weightwatchers.com, and www.self.com.

I recently came across an article about sugar that I'd like to share. I've taken a Nutrition class in college before but I never knew this. Your body digests sugar easily which causes your blood sugar levels to spike. The hormone insulin rushes in to lower it, and you're left with a low blood sugar level. This in turn causes most people to binge in order to raise their blood sugar levels again.

The article recommended to ditch any foods that have more than 10 grams of sugar. I took their advice and have been doing this. When I crave something sweet I'll have a piece of fruit because it has naturally occuring sugar and fiber. I've also cut out refined white flour products. You'd be amazed at how much sugar they contain.

1 comment:

The Rice Life! said...

I love your advice...and the new blog layout!!! So cute!