Monday, February 23, 2009

I love you Grandma Joyce

I wanted to share some of my favorite memories of my Grandma Joyce today. I will always remember visiting her and my grandpa at their home. My grandma was a wonderful cook, and always a wonderful hostess. I remember her donuts and caramel apples on Halloween. She loved to celebrate and made two kinds of cake for my grandpa's birthday. My dad told me a story about my grandma that warmed my heart. When my dad was growing up, needy people would knock on the door and my grandma would always feed them a warm meal no matter what.

I loved playing in my grandma's yard. She had a wonderful lilac garden. My grandma was such a wonderful grandma to me and her other 19 grandchildren. She loved the Lord with all heart, and brought so much good to the world. She wrote beautiful poems, and I'll share this one with you.

"Comfort"
"God called her home. He had great need of her.
To mend the angels wings of gossamer.
To make St. Peter rest a little while
To drink a cup of tea, and learn to smile
When angel babies fuss for lullabies
Then she soothes back their hair and hushes cries
With hands so softly cool, with voice kept low
Rocking the little Angels to and fro.

God called her home. Her work on earth was done
He must have felt that truly-here was one
To scatter stars and shape the rainbows glow
And send a ray of hope to those below.

Never will ocean part you-heartache-tears.
She will look down and guide you through the years.
And when your feet too tired to roam.
She will fling wide the gates and call you home."

--Joyce Hulce 1970.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Grandma Joyce wrote a poem in 1975 just after dad and I were married that I believe she wrote about us:

After the Wedding

You will be a bride long remembered
by all romantic fuddy duddies here
May joy and happiness be with you
As love fullfills this partnership, my dear
And know that gorgeous hunk of man we love
will have but one regret as time draws near
That he had met and claimed you ages back
This fol de rol was done- and so his fear
For man will take out garbage, walk the dog
Stand dauntless before storms belive alone
But be a wise young wife and know that he
Will never more (in public) pledge his love. Joyce Hulce, 1975

Kenna said...

Thanks for sharing mom. What a beautiful poem from a beautiful lady.

Crystal said...

Both of those poems were very nice. I hope you and your family are finding peace during this difficult time.